Home Knowledge Base Zinc oxide reacts with carbon, on heating to form Zinc metal and carbon monoxide. Write a balanced chemical equation for this reaction. Name (i) the substance oxidised and (ii) the substance reduced.
- Please state the balanced reaction equation between sodium bromide (NaBr) and chlorine gas (Cl2). Why does this reaction happen but not if the chlorine is replaced with Iodine (I2)? 2NaBr + Cl2 --------- 2 NaCl + Br2Chlorine is more reactive than bromine so can displace it from the molecule.
- Reaction (2) Check with the Table of Activity of Metals: Reaction 1 is observed because zinc is higher up on the activity series of metal than hydrogen. Reaction 2 is observed because zinc is higher up on the activity series of metal than copper. Zinc metal is more reactive than the copper metal. Zinc is capable of displacing Cu 2+ ions in ...
It doesn't matter which half-reaction we balance first, so let's start with the reduction half-reaction. Our goal is to balance this half-reaction in terms of both charge and mass. It seems reasonable to start by balancing the number of iodine atoms on both sides of the equation.
- Jan 01, 1975 · J. inorg, nucl. Chem., 1975, Vot. 37, pp. 127-132. Pergamon Press. Printed in Great Britain. THE REACTION OF IODINE WITH CONCENTRATED NITRIC ACID* J. C. MAILEN and T. O. TIFFANY Chemical Technology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37830 ,(Received 6 March 1974) Abstract--The oxidation of iodine by hyperazeotropic nitric acid was shown to proceed in at least two ...
Zinc iodide is the white solid composed of Zinc and Iodide. It is obtained by the direct reaction of zinc and iodine in refluxing ether. It is represented using the molecular formula ZnI 2. It decomposes at the boiling point of 1,150 °C. Molar mass of zinc iodide is 319.22 g/mol. It is used in industrial radiography, as an x-ray opaque penetrant.
Aug 02, 2018 · Balanced Chemical Equation: A balanced chemical equation has number of atoms of each element equal on both sides. Example: Zn + H2SO4 → ZnSO4 + H2. In this equation, numbers of zinc, hydrogen and sulphate are equal on both sides, so it is a balanced chemical equation.
- Chemical Reaction Engineering (CRE) principles can be applied in many areas, such as modeling smog in the L.A. basin, understanding the digestive system by its integral form to yield a form of the general mole balance equation for any chemical species j that is entering, leaving, reacting, and/or...
The net reaction of a voltaic cell constructed from a standard zinc electrode and a standard copper electrode is obtained by adding the two half-reactions together Let's try both! Case 1: reversing the iodine reduction Review: On a sheet of paper, derive the balanced net equation for this voltaic cell.
- To correctly balance this equation, it helps to look more closely at the oxidation and reduction that occur in the reaction. The iodine atoms are changing their oxidation number from -1 to 0, so each iodide ion must be losing one electron.
Balancing Chemical Equations 1. Identify the names of the reactants and products, and write a word equation 2. Write a formula equation by substituting correct formulas for the names of the reactants and products 3. Balance the formula equation according to the law of conservation of mass. 4. Count atoms to be sure that the equation is balanced.
- Oct 11, 2008 · Iodine is known to exist in the solid state as DIATOMIC molecule. Using simplest formula, write balanced chemical equation for the reaction of Zn and I2. I am not sure if my answer is correct: Zn + 2I --> ZnI2 Also, what if the zinc and iodine each exist in solid as ATOMS?
The opposite would be true for direct reaction of lead with iodine. The energy gap for promotion of 6s to 6p is larger than the energy got back from the formation of two Pb-I bonds so PbI2 would be the major product.